Saturday, October 24, 2009

Day One

This morning at the grocery store, I stocked up on lots of fresh fruits and veggies, keeping in mind that I would begin to introduce foods to Keira.
Once everything was put away, it was snack time for my almost two year old, Brody, so I figured it was the perfect time to sit down and try out BLW. I chose bananas for the first food, because it came recommended, it is easily mashed, and most kids love them. I used about half of a banana and mashed it on a plate. Keira loved having a plate, and was more interested in that at first. Everything I have read said the first few times this will be more about the baby playing, and less about eating. I completely agree. I captured the first moments on video, but switched to pictures. As you can see in the video, she does gag a few times, although again, I was prepared based on everything I read. Her initial gagging did not seem to scare her off from the food. We ditched the plate and she had fun squishing the mashed banana in her hands, and tasting it every now and then. Although I knew this would be a messy adventure, I still underestimated the mess level. Next time we may take off the clothes, and eat in a diaper alone. I let Keira explore and have fun until she lost interest. She spent a good half hour at the table. I would say Day One was a great success!

1 comment: